Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Girl and her Cheesesteak!

So I have found this cute cafe in Philly. Its right across from my job on Walnut Street. Its name is Jean's Cafe. I die everytime I eat the food. It is so awesome. I could probably write everyday about Jean's (because that's about how much I eat there!) but I must tell you about the sandwich sent from God to make all my troubles melt away.

I've been in Philly a month and haven't had a Philly Cheesesteak. I know, I know! That has got to be some sort of record because its generally the first thing people get! Well I felt like I was ready to venture into cheesesteak world so I decided to go with trusty Jean's for this out of body experience.

Before I tell you about the cheesesteak I must tell you about Jean's. Jean and staff are all Asian. ( Bet you didn't see that coming) Now I know Asians can cook but I didn't know they could do down home American food especially when they barely speak English! But I think Jean and crew are playing us all for fools! The menu at Jean'spoks fun (I think...and hope) at how Asians tend to speak. Like instead of just saying "chicken" their menu says "chicky" and "hoggy" and "steaky". So every word has the mystery "Y" on the end (sometimes you just don't need that additional vowel sound in a word...I digress).

So I ordered a steaky hoggy with hot peppers, sweet peppers, onions, and cheese. This was Jean's version of Philly Cheesesteak. I was told by co-workers that I couldn't eat a whole cheesesteak (shows how well they know me). I ordered a whole one because its on Wells Faro and I'm in a F*#K the MAN kind of mood right now!!

So I get back to my hotel room and unwrap this sandwich and it was HUGE! I mean eye-bulging out my head big! But it smelled like street fare heaven! I took my first bite and I swear the clouds parted and the sun shone brightly over me! The bread was so fresh and soft and light. Which was surprising since it was this large hoagie roll. Inside this fresh bread was the most tender steak that was perfectly seasoned with salt and pepper so that you could get the full flavor of the peppers and onions and that ooey, gooey, cheese. These peppers and onions complimented the steak so well. While I was trying to eat my sandwich I was on the phone with a friend and I had trouble finding words due to the heavenliness of this sandwich. In the words of my girl Giuliana Rancic it was "Da Bomb"! The only thing I added to this sandwich was lettuce and spicy mustard. I ate every bit of the sandwich and was craving more!

I haven't been to Tony Luc's or Pat's which are the Cheesesteak staples of Philly but Jean's took me to a special place in sandwich heaven that I hope to revisit in the very near future!

So until next time...talky later! LOL!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fancy sandwich. I will try them when I come up. When are you going to the hood?

    ReplyDelete