Saturday, January 30, 2010

Back to Familiar Goodness

I am now in Winston-Salem, NC. A city that is near and dear to my heart because it's the city I became an adult in. I spent 4 years in this city at Winston-Salem State University (GO RAMS!!!) So over the next several weeks I will be telling you all about some places that I am very familiar with. Some places that aren't new to me but are so special to me because I have loved them for so long.

I know you generally leave the best for last but anyone that knows me knows that I had to get to Cities as soon as I got to Winston! Cities is my favorite restaurant. Not just a favorite of mine. NO. It is my all-time favorite restaurant. It's not a chain (thank God)! It is this hidden treasure in Winston. Most people go to all the chain restaurants along Hanes Mall Blvd. Cities is away from all that and it is a collection of several atmospheres. It can be a family restaurant. It can be a romantic spot. It can be a great place for you to go with friends.

My boss was in town this week and she wanted to go out to eat so she could vent. So I took her to Cities. I ordered what has now become my favorite thing on the menu which is the Grilled Chicken. I know, I know. Grilled chicken sounds boring but this is the most succulent piece of chicken you have ever tasted. They take a boneless chicken breast and split it and beat it to flatten it out. Then they put it on a hot grill and only for a few minutes so it isn't dry. It is seasoned perfectly with salt and pepper and they top it with this lemon butter dill sauce. OMG!!! I cannot explain how wonderful this sauce is on this chicken. I always ask for extra sauce because I just want to take my bread and sop up every last drop of it. It is buttery goodness! Oh good Lord! This sauce is why God created chicken. This sauce was supposed to be on top of chicken. It makes the perfectly grilled chicken taste like chicken that Jesus touched himself!

Now that I have completed slobbered all over myself talking about this chicken, I can tell you about the delicious rice pilaf that they serve with the chicken. Now I love rice but Cities makes it special. They serve it in the shape of a pyramid! Its so cute but I tear it down faster than the pyramid building gods put it up! This rice is delicious but you know what makes it better....the lemon butter dill sauce that is dripping off the chicken! LOL!

I know you are probably thinking that what I really liked is the sauce. You would be wrong. I don't like the sauce, I LOVE the sauce. It is the perfect companion to this meal!

Due to the conversation, I didn't get to eat my dessert. I will have to go back so that I can tell you all about the best strawberry shortcake in the world! Don't worry. With me spending 6 more weeks in Winston. There will be several more posts about Cities. Remember the name and please, please visit when you are in Winston. It is the best kept secret in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment